In our last article, we spoke highly of how Portugal is a gateway to obtaining “Unicorn Energy”. This sunny country has its own unique all-inclusive lifestyle that will help shape how businesses operate now and beyond. As António Dias Martins, the executive director of StartUp Portugal proudly stated on this year’s Web Summit,
"Being a unicorn is not the end goal. We are here for everyone."
So what does it take to become a Unicorn other than just the environment? Well, that’s what this article is for, to tip you off on some hot insider knowledge to keep top of mind when forming your ace team within a startup with a big international & diverse mindset — for everyone.
So, what would be the 5 big core ideas tucked into your mission and vision that can make the difference when developing your business?
1. Main Idea: Beyond mission and vision, concepts that should be solid at the start of any startup (no matter the size), the main idea should be well defined too. This will always serve as the north star for you and the team. Define your initial service or product before you branch into other areas under the same brand name. Is it a Software as a Service (Saas), Marketing Agency, System-In-Play? A whatever it may be, it must be well defined as your main idea.
Brainstorm: Here are the top 10 main ideas in the Unicorn heavy hitters ring.
2. Believe: What’s that motto you live by? What makes your company’s soul burn for more? Almost everything in an organization improves when the individuals who work there believe in what the company is doing. When people believe, they work harder, offer more, and bring a level of energy and passion to the table that is required to create anything great — and vice-versa. Even if your end goal is to “put a smile on” one person, you’re already a believer.
“Success is making those who believed in you look brilliant.” - Steve Jobs
Market Cap: As of December of 2021 there are more than 800 unicorn startups around the globe, Remote & Sword being the two largest in Portugal, with an outstanding 35 Decacorns valued at over $10 billion.
3. Values: A diversified workplace, opinions and voices heard, people’s identities respected, growth and continuous learning, maintaining a positive work culture, and health and safety of your entire team.
4. Promises: Are very much tied to your company/startup values, but they are monthly or yearly goals set to motivate your team to do better, be better, and work better. Promises like: Sustainability Promise, People Promise, Partner Promise, Quality Promise, and Planet Promise are 5 themes you can ingrain within the pillars of your startup or company’s foundation.
Pro Tip: A great People Promise would be: Your internal communication to apply a wider range of inclusive writing and dialogue as a company standard. There’s even tech like Witty that is able to bridge the gender, sex, age, and people gap at the click of a button.
5. Spirit: BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE, or, ONLY THE BEST IS GOOD ENOUGH is the spirit that will carry your entire startup to Unicorn status and bring like-minded individuals with you to the top. Regardless of race, sex, gender, religion, or any other particular preference or identity, a brand will be the umbrella that unites all to thrive and run a successful organization. When you and your team get to the top, celebrate like winners and share that joy with your entire team by rewarding them to keep that spirit alive. Because every small win, contributed by each person within the team, counts towards the overall success and power of the company.
To be the best takes hard work and sweat poured into a main idea where you, and others around you, will believe in and value your work and team while standing by your promises to keep the company’s spirit flying sky-high to soar above the competition.
With the above motto in mind, Portugal is where to raise your startup into a Unicorn. Not just because of the amazing tapas, wine, food, scenery, lifestyle, and overall vibe, but because this is a place you and your team can build your foundations, plant your roots, and grow strong. So let us help you settle down in Portugal and set up your workplace — we’ll be happy to get you started on your journey.